Passports & Visas

Along with a current passport valid for the duration of your stay, the Australian government requires a visa from visitors of every nation, except New Zealand, to be issued before you arrive.passport_visa_australia

If you are short-term visitor or business traveller, the process is easy and can be done in a few minutes on the Internet, using the Australian government’s Electronic Travel Authority (ETA). This is an electronic visa that takes the place of a stamp in your passport.

Below are some of the different types of common visas needed in Australia.

A Tourist Visa is for those intending to visit Australia for a period of no more than three months.  You cannot work on a tourist visa as it is totally illegal, however you can study as long as the course does not exceed eleven weeks.

Holiday Working Visa: This Visa is only supplied to travellers from countries that have work agreements with Australia. It allows the person to work while travelling Australia for a limited time.

Student Visa:  A student visa is for those intending to study full time in Australia for a period longer than twelve weeks. When applying for a student visa there are more requirements one of which is compulsory Health Insurance another is being able to show that you have enough income to support yourself in Australia for the duration of your studies. However whilst studying full time you are also eligible to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week.

Internship Visa: This is a visa that is granted for a maximum of twelve months  which allows someone of a certain profession (doctors, nurses etc) to come to Australia and work in their field of expertise.

There are many different types of Visas granted in Australia.  To find out more visit the official website for The Australian Department of Immigration at